There is no cookie-cutter treatment for those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Personalized activity based programming is provided to our residents enabling residents to function at their highest level and retain dignity.
Oak Hill offers one of the few, local memory care units certified by the Illinois Department of Public Health as a special care unit for those needing these specialized services. Our memory care unit provides residents two home-like settings on Cedar Lane and Spruce Lane. Each unit is a distinct area caring for no more than 20 residents. Both areas have their own living room, dining room and enclosed outdoor patio area.
Our staff provides a loving, nurturing and accepting environment for those who cannot function independently. Our ongoing staff education provided by the Alzheimer’s Association allows us to provide the highest quality of care to meet the unique needs of our residents. In fact, each staff member at Whispering Pines receives at least 12 hours of training each year.
Every program focuses on each person’s strengths and celebrates their successes while encouraging each resident to be active and participate in decisions of their daily care.
The Alzheimer Association provides additional support to families coping with memory loss of a loved one. “In the Moment” support group is held monthly at Oak Hill and is open to the public.
- Private and semi-private rooms
- Secure unit featuring a key-less entry system
- 24-hour licensed nursing staff with specialized expertise in memory care
- Programming oversight provided by a board-certified geriatrician
- Unit director with Master’s degree in counseling
- Assistance with daily living including personal care, eating, mobility and incontinence care
- Three nutritious, home-cooked meals a day served restaurant style, allowing residents the ability to make selections to their taste Oak Hill Meal Calendar
- Snacks available 24 hours day
- On-site therapists specializing in rehabilitation for those with dementia
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy, including Vital Stem treatments for swallowing
- Restorative services
- On-site registered dietician – monitors weight loss, weight gain and meal consumption
- Medication administration with pharmacist reviews
- Health monitoring including vital signs, glucose levels, oxygen requirements, etc. as ordered by physician
- Wellness programs including onsite foot, wound, dental and eye care
- Palliative care
- On-site diagnostic services including x-rays, laboratory testing, EKGs, echocardiograms, Doppler testing, KUB and Modified Barium Swallow exams
- Therapeutic recreation programs seven days a week, 12 hours a day
- Life enrichment programs that use touch, laughter, music and dance to add to quality of life
- Memory stimulation activities
- Stay Fit exercise programs
- Scenic drives
- Gardening and supervised outdoor walks
- Personalized one-on-one programs to continue their unique interests in life-long hobbies
- Family incorporated activities: care plan meetings, family nights, holiday-themed dinners and other events
- Two private dining rooms and living rooms
- State-of-the-art, noise-free call light system
- Complimentary daily personal laundry, linen and housekeeping services
- Silver Sheers Beauty Salon
- Chez LaRue Gift Shop with ice cream parlor
- Chapel with scheduled multi-denominational religious services including communion and rosary
- Enclosed courtyards for residents to enjoy nature in a safe environment